Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Create Patch (Eclipse 3.2)

I have been using Eclipse 3.2M6 for a little while now and I finding it a nice evolution of the 3.1 product. One simple feature that I had been wishing for was the ability to create patches but select individual files which the patch should contain. In 3.1 you could only create a patch for a folder (and all the files under it) or just one file. This was never a big problem as I could just drop back to the command prompt and do it manually, but it just means I can spend more of my life in Eclipse. This first appeared in Milestone 3 under the title of Improved Patch Support. I end up using patch support quite a bit as I work on both WebLearn and Bodington which are similar codebase but stored in separate CVS repositories so using patches is the best way to move changes across. Although looking in the new and noteworthy the ability to record refactoring should help to allow changes to easily be pushed across.