Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Plusnet and 8MB ADSL (MaxDSL)

I a couple of weeks ago I received an email from Plusnet saying that if I wanted to I could ask to be upgraded to 8MB ADSL as soon as possible. Looking forward to the extra upstream bandwidth I sent a note to Plusnet support confirming that I would like to be upgraded as soon as possible. I got a confirmation back saying it had been received and I would be contacted when the order was placed. Well when I got home to my computer today I found that the internet connection was down so I logged into the ADSL router and was pleasantly suppressed to see the ADSL line sync at DownStream: 6112 Kbps, UpStream: 448 Kbps. This was a nice increase from 2Mbs and all done for free. Looking at the logs I can see that the router has been attempting several speeds and according to Plusnet it could take up to 10 days to settle down. Speeds it has tried so far since about 17:00 today are: * DownStream: 6400 Kbps, UpStream: 448 Kbps * DownStream: 6560 Kbps, UpStream: 448 Kbps * DownStream: 6560 Kbps, UpStream: 448 Kbps * DownStream: 6496 Kbps, UpStream: 448 Kbps * DownStream: 6560 Kbps, UpStream: 448 Kbps * DownStream: 6784 Kbps, UpStream: 448 Kbps * DownStream: 6656 Kbps, UpStream: 448 Kbps * DownStream: 6560 Kbps, UpStream: 448 Kbps * DownStream: 6112 Kbps, UpStream: 448 Kbps * DownStream: 6208 Kbps, UpStream: 448 Kbps * DownStream: 6016 Kbps, UpStream: 448 Kbps While I have been composing this post it has tried the last two on this list. As this adjustment is going on I am seeing a little more packet loss on the line but I'm guessing this is normal. If your looking at this post today you can see a graph of the disconnects I've been experiencing. This graph shows data from the current day will probably be useless shortly... Although the line speed seems to have increased using Plusnets speed tester I am only getting the expected data rate for a 1Mbs line but this may be due to the fact that BT don't adjust the ATM line restrictions as quickly, but it should happen in the next few days. The only thing that would have been useful is if Plusnet would have sent the emails warning me that this would be happening as they said they would.