Sunday, April 24, 2005

Linux on an Access Point (WRT54G)

I've had a Linksys WRT54G for a little while and have never managed to get it working in client mode (joining a network as a client, like a wireless bridge) correctly. I had been using the Sveasoft WRT54G firmware but without much sucess. I then found a page about doing client mode with OpenWRT and after a bit of tinkering with WEP keys and the like, I now have it sucessfully joining the wireless network and providing network access to my Playstation 2. My inital problems were that I still had lots of settings in NVRAM from the earlier firmwares and I should have reset the nvram first with the command "mtd erase nvram". Ohh well you live and learn. OpenWRT is a nice distribution for the WRT54G if you are reasonably comafortable at a linux shell. It provides a very basic install and then you add on the packages you want (I just added a ssh server/client; dropbear).