Thursday, February 14, 2013

Testing with foreign character sets on a Mac

To help with testing foriegn character sets I have created two additional character sets on my Mac that remap the standard British QUERTY keyboard to create readable but non-standard characters. This allows me to easily enter characters outside the normal ASCII range that are still readable. I created these character maps with Ukelele that allows me to load the British character map and then remap the keys. Once I've remapped the keys I export the character maps as a bundle and put them in /Library/Keyboard Layouts and then use System Preferences to add them to the list of available keyboard maps.
So the two character maps are:

  • British - Foreign : This uses accented characters that are below 0xFFFF in Unicode and so in plane 0. Ḥėṙė ïṡ ȧṅ ėẋȧṁṗĺė ȯḟ ṫẏṗïṅġ ẇïṫḥ ṫḥïṡ ḳėẏḃȯȧṙḋ ṁȧṗ.
    Ukelele File
  • British - Mathematical : This uses mathematical versions of the standard lating characters and are above 0xFFFF, in this case in plane 1 in Unicode. 𝖧𝖾𝗋𝖾 𝗂𝗌 𝖺𝗇 𝖾𝗑𝖺𝗆𝗉𝗅𝖾 𝗈𝖿 𝗍𝗒𝗉𝗂𝗇𝗀 𝗐𝗂𝗍𝗁 𝗍𝗁𝗂𝗌 𝗄𝖾𝗒𝖻𝗈𝖺𝗋𝖽 𝗆𝖺𝗉.
    Ukelele File

No comments: